Friday, July 11, 2008

A Portal to the Future

Back in teacher's college I came across this video. It's awesome. It really helped me evolve as computer user and teacher. I actually prepared a presentation for my history class based on this information, but sadly was never able to deliver it.

Nonetheless, the author has released another video that blew me away. His name is Michael Wesch, a professor at Kansas State University. Today's video is a seminar that he gave at the University of Manitoba. It's a long one, but incredibly interesting. Whether you are a teacher or a student, you should be able to understand the significance of what he is talking about. If only my profs had been anything like this guy. His students ended up learning and remembering FAR more than they would have. And it looks like (gasp!) most of them actually came to a first year class. All without textbooks or lectures.

Watch it and please comment below. I would like to know what other people think.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was an amazing video. I can see how his teaching method and ideas about learning could really go a long way if most of the professors at Universities, didn't frown upon using internet information as the main source. The World Simulation Game was phenominal. I wish I had a professor like this when I was at University. Thanks for the video.

James Matthie said...

The best part, at least for me, is the idea of using a wiki for the course site. Students create their own study notes, they prepare for exams, and they become much more involved with their classmates - all while creating less 'work' for everyone.

And the options for collaboration are HUGE. He is emphasizing the big skills: working together, thinking about information, and applying information.

Storage and retrieval aren't as important anymore...