Saturday, August 2, 2008

In the People's Republic

I've written this post in advance, because today marks the midpoint of my journey to the People's Republic of China. My trip will take me from Beijing to Xian to Guillin to Shanghai. I'll see the Great Wall, theForbidden City, some Olympic Venues, Tienanmen Square, The Terracotta Army, and some of the most fabulous scenery in Guilin (described as the 'best under heaven'.) I'll also check out the most modern city in China - to get an idea of what to expect from this eastern juggernaut in the future. I would have liked to squeeze a trip down the Yangtze River to the 3 Gorges Dam, but we just didn't have enough time. Of course this isn't a tour - we'll be playing it by ear as we backpack around the eastern portion of the country.

No comments: